The Swedish Migration Agency logotype

10 September 2020

It is now possible for family members who are applying for a residence permit afterwards to apply online

On 27 August, the Swedish Migration Agency launched an updated online application for people who are working in Sweden and whose family members want to apply for a residence permit afterwards. This applies to both families who are already in Sweden and those who are abroad.

The application form has been improved to make it easier for family members to fill it in online.

In addition to the improvements, the requirements for who can apply online have changed:

  • If you have had a baby in Sweden, you can apply online for a residence permit for the child.
  • If you have a residence permit as a researcher in Sweden, your family members can apply online afterwards.
  • Now it is enough that you have a residence permit in order for your family to be able to apply afterwards. Previously, the requirement was that the person working in Sweden also had to have a personal identity number.
  • If you have family members who are going to apply for a residence permit extension and who are not applying at the same time as you, they can apply online afterwards.
Flagga - EU.