Extending a residence permit for the self-employed

You must apply for an extension of your permit at the earliest 30 days before your current permit expires. The Migration Agency does not send out reminders.

If you have applied for asylum, have received a temporary residence permit, and are self-employed

If you have applied for asylum, have received a temporary residence permit, and are able to support yourself, then you can receive a permanent residence permit in some cases. Other rules apply to you, than for those who are self-employed and do not have a temporary residence permit based on need for protection. In order to receive a permanent residence permit as a self-employed person you must demonstrate that you can support yourself now, and that you have sufficient capital available for you to run your business and support yourself for at least two years.

Read more about the requirements for you who have applied for asylum, have received a temporary residence permit, and are self-employed, and how to apply for a permanent residence permit

How to apply

You can apply online to extend you permit. Apply no earlier than 30 days before your current permit expires.

In most cases you need to pay a fee.

Fee for residence permit

If you have family members living with you in Sweden who also need to extend their permits, you apply for them in the same online application.

What you have to send with your application

  • copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport's validity, entry and exit stamps and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin. Make sure to extend your passport if it is about to expire – you cannot obtain a temporary residence permit for longer than your passport's period of validity
  • annual report or annual accounts
  • income statement (report) and balance sheet up to the previous month
  • copy of tax return documents for yourself and your business
  • payslips for yourself for the last six months, if you are running a limited company
  • bank statement listing all transactions from your company account from the last three months
  • cost of housing, for example, rent invoice for your private residence.

Learn more about the requirements for an online application

Shorter processing times for complete applications

For the Swedish Migration Agency to make a decision about your application, all the details need to be filled in and all necessary documents attached. This means that the processing time will be shorter if all the necessary information is included from the start than if information is added afterwards.

Note that the Migration Agency may in some cases need to further examine your application even if you have included all the required information and documents.

Once we have received your application

If you submit an application for an extension, you have the right to remain in Sweden while the Migration Agency makes a decision. You also have the right to work in your business.

If you go abroad when your permit expires, you may have trouble re-entering Sweden until your new permit is granted. In that case, you might have to wait for your new decision outside Sweden.

If you obtain a permit for more than three months, you will also receive a residence permit card. The card, which is proof that you have the right to be in Sweden, contains a photo and your fingerprints. Book an appointment to have your picture and fingerprints taken. Your photo and fingerprints cannot be saved, so you need to go through the process even if you had a residence permit card before.

The Swedish Migration Agency will check that you are running the business according to the audited plans, that you adhere to generally accepted accounting principles, that you hold other permits necessary for the business and that you can support yourself and any family on income from your business. Your minimum income must reach at least the national norm for income support plus your housing costs.

The Migration Agency also checks that you live in Sweden and that you have been a resident in Sweden for the majority of the time.

Learn more about applying for a residence permit card

Book an appointment

After the decision has been made

The decision will be sent to your address in Sweden. If you have had a residence permit for two years you may be granted a permanent residence permit if you meet all of the requirements. Once the residence permit card is ready, it will be sent to you within approximately one week.

If the Migration Agency refuses your application

If the Migration Agency refuses your application, you can appeal the decision within three weeks from the date when you were informed of the decision. Your decision contains information about how to do so.

If you are in Sweden and your application is refused

If the Migration Agency refuses your application for a residence permit, this means that you do not have the right to a residence permit in Sweden. You can choose to accept the decision or to appeal it. Even if you choose to appeal, you still have to plan to return to your country of origin or the country where you have the right of stay.

The Migration Agency sends the decision

When the Migration Agency notifies you of the decision, it may use simplified service of process. This is done in the following way.

The Migration Agency sends the decision in an ordinary letter to the address where you have said you can be reached. At least one day later the Migration Agency sends a control message to you saying that the decision has been sent. This is done to make sure that you received the first letter. So you will receive two letters from the Migration Agency, generally on successive days. You do not need to notify the Migration Agency that you have received the letters.

You are deemed to have been notified of the decision when two weeks have passed since the decision was sent to you. If you do not receive the decision but only receive the control message, you have to contact the Migration Agency as soon as possible.

Appealing a residence permit decision

If you do not appeal, your decision will enter into force three weeks after you received the decision. You can also show that you accept the decision by signing what is called a declaration of acceptance. Once you have signed it, you cannot appeal and you have to prepare to leave Sweden.

If you do not accept the decision, you have the right to appeal.  You have to send your appeal to the Migration Agency. The Migration Agency will first reconsider its decision. If the Agency does not change its decision, your appeal is examined by the migration court. Your appeal must be received by the Migration Agency before the decision enters into force, which it does three weeks from the date when you received the decision.

Read more about what happens when an application is refused

If you do not apply online

If you are not able to apply online, you must fill out the form Application for a Swedish residence permit for self-employed persons – Extension, number 125011B. The application form specifies which documents to enclose.

Send your application to

The Swedish Migration Agency
Box 3100
903 03 Umeå

Application for a Swedish residence permit for self-employed persons – Extension, form number 125011B (in English)PDF

Application for permit for family members of employees, visiting researchers, athletes and self-employed persons, form number 133011 (in English)PDF

In most cases you must pay a fee.

Learn more about fees and how to pay

Last updated: 2017-06-22

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.