How to apply for a residence permit for studies at a university or university college

You must have applied for and been granted a residence permit before entering Sweden.

Letter of acceptance.


You have received a letter of acceptance

To be eligible for a residence permit, you must have been admitted to full-time studies on a programme or course that requires you to be present at the university or university college.

Information about studying in Sweden at studyinsweden.seexternal link, opens in new window

Bank card.


Pay the tuition fee

If you need to pay tuition fees, you must have paid a portion of the fee before handing in your application.

More information on tuition feesexternal link, opens in new window

Fill out application.


Fill out an application

You may apply online. In the application, you fill out information about yourself and your studies. You must also enclose a number of documents. If your family accompanies you to Sweden you can apply for their permits too in your online application.

Documents to enclose

To the online application

Permits for family members

Bank card.


Pay the application fee

In most cases you will have to pay a fee. When you apply online, you pay the fee with a credit or debit card in connection with the application.

More information about fees

Processing the application.


The Swedish Migration Agency processes the application 

If you have applied online, the Swedish Migration Agency can start work on your application right away.

The Swedish Migration Agency prioritises the processing of applications where all the details are filled in and all the necessary documents are included. This means that, if you send everything that is required together with your application, you will receive your decision faster than if you were to complete your application afterwards. Please note that in certain cases the Migration Agency may need to investigate your application further, even if you have provided all the necessary details and documents.

Current waiting times

Visiting the embassy.


Visit the embassy or consulate-general

If you need an entry visa for travel to Sweden, visit the Swedish embassy or consulate-general as soon as possible, to be photographed and fingerprinted. This is so that you can be given a residence permit card and travel to Sweden. You need to do this even if you have had a residence permit card previously, as the information is not saved. Contact the embassy or consulate general before your visit.

If you do not require an entry visa, you can also travel to Sweden without a residence permit card, but you must be able to show a decision from the Swedish Migration Agency to enter Sweden. In that case you do not have to go to the embassy to get your residence permit card. You instead hand in the documentation for a residence permit card to the Migration Agency once you have arrived in Sweden.

Find the closest embassy at Swedenabroad.comexternal link

List of countries whose citizens need an entry visaexternal link, opens in new window for travel to Sweden

More information about the residence permit card



You receive the decision

You will receive an e-mail stating that a decision has been made.

You must contact the embassy or consulate-general to get your decision, and possibly book an appointment for this. When you come to collect your decision, you must bring your passport. Some embassies and consulates-general will send the decision and residence permit card by the post. Contact the embassy or consulate-general for more information. Your university college or university will get an e-mail with information about the decision at the same time as you.

Begin application

Terms of use  

In order to complete your application you must accept the terms of use. Through these terms of use the Swedish Migration Agency wishes to inform you of the regulations that apply to our online application.

If you cannot see any text here, please click on the link Print Terms of use below.
NOTE: To use this online application service, you need to have Javascript activated on your web browser.
  • conditions of use
  • that my information is sent over the Internet
  • that the Swedish Migration Agency can process my online application
  • that personal information may be used and saved by the bank, credit card company or other paying service that I pay through.

If you do not check this box you cannot begin your application.

If you do not apply online

If you are not able to apply online, you must fill out the form Application for residence permit for students and doctoral students, no 105031 and submit it to a Swedish embassy or consulate-general in your country of residence. The application form specifies which documents to enclose.

If there is no possibility to submit an application in your country, you must apply at the embassy or consulate-general closest to your country of residence. Contact the embassy or consulate-general before you submit your application for further information.

If your family is accompanying you to Sweden, each family member must submit their own application.

Application for residence permit for students and doctoral students, form no 105031PDF (in English)

Application by co-applicants to students and doctoral students, form no 135011PDF (in English)

Find the closest embassy at Swedenabroad.comexternal link

If you are applying at an embassy or consulate-general, you pay the fee when you hand in your application. For more information about the fee, contact the embassy or consulate-general where you are applying, as they do not have the same fees and terms of payment as the Swedish Migration Agency.

Last updated: 21 April 2015