Possible to obtain a residence permit for up to two years at certain higher education institutions

On 16 February 2024, the Swedish Migration Agency signed an agreement with the Royal Institute of Technology, Lund University and Umeå University.

This means, among other things, that university students who have to pay a tuition fee at these universities can apply for up to two years of residence permits at a time. This applies both to an initial application and to an extension application. The Swedish Migration Agency will soon offer all of Sweden's higher education institutions the opportunity to sign this agreement.