Residence permit for volunteers
If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU and want to work as a volunteer within the framework of the European Voluntary Service, you need to have a residence permit for volunteer work. The residence permit must be issued before travel to Sweden.
Volunteers who do not work within the scope of the European Voluntary Service can apply for a residence permit for visitors.
Requirements for residence permit
To be eligible for a residence permit, you must
- have a valid passport (if your passport will expire soon, you should renew it since you cannot get a permit for longer than the validity of your passport)
- have an agreement with an organisation in Sweden on participation in a volunteer programme in the scope of the European Voluntary Service
- have or have applied for comprehensive health insurance that is valid for care in Sweden
- have enough money for your stay in Sweden and to be able to pay your travel home
- pay a fee in most cases (application fees for work permit).
The organisation in Sweden must be approved by the European Voluntary Service.
You complete the form Application for a residence permit for volunteers within the framework of the European Voluntary Service, number 157011, and turn it in at a Swedish embassy or general consulate in the country in which you live. The application form indicates what documents you must attach to it.
If it is not possible to apply in your country, you must apply at the embassy or general consulate that is closest to the country in which you live. Before you turn in your application, contact the embassy or general consulate.