Call us

When you call the Swedish Migration Agency, you can choose to talk to customer services or our switchboard. Customer services can answer questions regarding ongoing cases as well as general questions.

Telephone number

+46 771 235 235

From Sweden 0771-235 235

Telephone hours

Monday–Friday 08.00–16.00

Special opening hours during the year

Frequently asked questions and answers

  • I have submitted an application for citizenship and I am awaiting your response. Now I want to go abroad. How do I go about this?

    The Swedish Migration Agency needs your passport in original in order to process an application for Swedish citizenship. You will get your passport back when your application has been processed.

    If you need your passport back before your application has been processed, you can require to have it back. If you are travelling you must give us the travel dates too.

    You should not send your passport back until the Swedish Migration Agency asks you to do so. We will write to you when we start processing your application and need you to send your passport back to us.

  • Will the Swedish Migration Agency no longer grant permanent residence permits to asylum seekers?

    Permanent residence permits will still be the norm for quota refugees.

    Learn more about quota refugees

    Unaccompanied minors and families with children who applied before November 24, 2015, can still be granted a permanent residence permit based on previous rules provided that the child is still under the age of 18 at the time of the decision.

  • Will I be entitled to family reunification if I am granted a temporary residence permit?

    Asylum seekers with refugee status may be able to reunite with their families. (The following are counted as family members:wife/husband, cohabiting partner, registered partner and unmarried children under the age of 18, or a parent to a child under the age of 18.)

    Read more about the different forms of protection here

  • What does a maintenance requirement mean?

    The maintenance requirement means that the person that has a residence permit in Sweden needs to be able to support their family member(s) and have a home of sufficient size and standard for the family.

  • When will I get my decision?

    How long you will have to wait depends on what kind of application you have made and if we need to supplement or investigate your application further.

    Learn more about the permit you are applying for.

  • Has my application been registered by the Migration Agency in Sweden?

    You can check if your application or appeal has been registered as received by the Swedish Migration Agency.

    Check if your application has been registered

  • Has a decision been made in my case?

    You can check if a decision has been made in your case.

    Check if a decision has been made


If you call our customer services, you can choose to have us call you back. You will be offered a callback only if there are spaces in the queue.

If you have a speech or hearing disability

You can get support by calling us through

Bildtelefoniexternal link, opens in new window (if you need a sign language interpreter)
Texttelefoniexternal link, opens in new window (for phone calls between textphones and standard voice phones)

Last updated: 2017-07-07

Was the information on this page helpful to you?