Long-term resident in another EU country

If you have long-term resident status in an EU country, you can move to Sweden to work, study or live on your own funds, such as a pension from your country of origin. If you plan to stay longer than three months, you will need a residence permit.

Residence permit requirements for someone with long-term resident status in the EU

To be granted a residence permit, you must

  • have a valid passport or travel document proving your identity
  • have long-term resident status in the EU country in which you previously lived and have been granted the special residence permit known as an EC/EU residence permit for long-term residents
  • be an employee or self-employed person in Sweden, or be able to support yourself as a student, with your pension, or with other sufficient funds.

How to apply for a residence permit

Last updated: