Studying and researching in Sweden

In order to study for more than 90 days in Sweden, you must have a residence permit. Read more about how to apply for a permit for studies or research in Sweden.


  • Delayed residence permit cards

    The machine that produces residence permit cards has been shut down for upgrading. Production is running again but it will take a while until all ordered cards are delivered. Normal delivery times are expected at the end of July or the beginning of August. The Swedish Migration Agency can not speed up production.

  • The Swedish Migra­tion Agency answered ques­tions about resi­dence permits for students

    The Swedish Institute has carried out two live broadcasts. The purpose was to guide through the process of applying for a residence permit for studies and applying to extend a residence permit for studies in Sweden. The Swedish Migration Agency was present and answered questions during the broadcasts.

  • New residence permit cards from 1 January

    From 1 January 2022, the residence permit cards (“UT cards”) and residence cards issued by the Swedish Migration Agency will look a bit different.