Notification of planned mobility studies
If you are studying in a Union programme or a multilateral programme in another EU country, you must in most cases notify the Swedish Migration Agency of your planned stay in Sweden.
If you have been granted a residence permit for studies in higher education in another EU country and are studying in a Union programme or a multilateral programme that includes mobility measures, you do not need to apply for a residence permit in Sweden as well. The same applies if you study in a programme covered by an agreement between two or more universities. You must instead notify the Swedish Migration Agency of your planned stay in Sweden. This applies if you are to study at a Swedish university as a part of your educational programme and the stay in Sweden is not more than 360 days.
If you are to come to Sweden as a researcher or exchange doctoral student
A researcher is a person who is qualified for a doctoral programme through a programme of higher education and is selected to conduct research in Sweden. If you have received employment as a researcher, you must apply for a residence permit as a researcher.
If you are a doctoral student and are to study in Sweden as a part of your education in another country, you cannot receive a residence permit for studies if you have not been admitted to a Swedish university. You can instead apply for a residence permit for visitors.
If you are to attend contract education in Sweden
Contract education in Sweden at a university or university college is included in the category of other studies.
EU citizens, citizens of Switzerland and long-term residents
Special rules apply for you if you are an EU citizen, a citizen of Switzerland, or a permanent resident.
When do you have to notify the Swedish Migration Agency?
You must notify the Swedish Migration Agency before you come to Sweden and well in advance. You must have received your residence permit from the other EU country before notifying the Swedish Migration Agency.
How to notify the Swedish Migration Agency
You complete the notification form Notification of stay in Sweden for studies in higher education – Mobility studies, number 209011, and send it to the Swedish Migration Agency.
You will find information about where to send the notification and related documents in the form.
Since you are making a notification, not an application for a residence permit, you do not need to pay a fee.
Document to submit together with your application
You must send in:
- a copy of both sides of the residence permit card issued by another country within the EU (it is important that all information on the card is shown). The card shall contain information that you have a mobility permit. The residence permit must be valid for the time that you will be in Sweden
- copies of the pages in your passport that show personal data, the period of validity and if you have permission to live in countries other than your home country. The passport must be valid for the time that you will be in Sweden
- a certificate that you will study in Sweden, issued by the Swedish higher education provider at which you will study (it is important that the certificate include information on the period that you will study in Sweden, with the exact start and end date)
- a copy of documents that show that you have, or have applied for, comprehensive health insurance that is valid in Sweden. If you have insurance through a university, you must send in a certificate stating this. If your admission notification states that you are covered by health insurance from the university, you can instead send in your admission notification as proof of health insurance
- an account statement that verifies that you have sufficient funds for your living expenses. The account statement, which you shall append to your notification of a stay in Sweden, should be dated in conjunction with the notification data and be translated to English, or
- documents issued in your name that show that you have been granted a stipend or the like with information on the monthly amount and the period during which you will receive the money.
Before you submit your registration of notification
Check that the information on the documents you also send in is clearly visible. Important information such as your name must be shown by the documents. The documents should be issued as recently as possible. The documents should also be translated to Swedish or English by a certified translator if they are issued in a different language. When you send in a translated document, you must always send in a copy of the original document.
You must have a valid passport
Send copies of the pages in your passport that show personal data, photo, signature, passport number, issuing country, period of validity and if you have permission to live in countries other than your home country. It is important that the full passport pages are present on the copies. Numbers and characters at the very top and bottom of the pages must also be clearly visible. The passport must be valid for the time that you will be in Sweden.
You must study in higher education in Sweden
You must have received a residence permit for studies in higher education in a different EU country where it is a part of the education that you shall also stay in Sweden for studies. The stay in Sweden may be a maximum of 360 days.
You must be able to support yourself
For stays in Sweden that begin on or after 1 January 2020, the financial support requirement is at least SEK 8,514 per month.
You must show that you have secured your financial support for the time that you will be in Sweden. This means that you must show that you have money available through bank assets, stipends or the like, such as student finance from your home country.
If you will receive a stipend or the like, you must send a recently issued document in your name with information on the monthly amount or total amount. It shall also be clear from the document what time you will receive funds disbursed and how much of the money will be available for your living expenses.
Duration of stay
You must have at least
SEK 51,084 (6 x SEK 8,514)
You must have, or have applied for, a comprehensive health insurance
If you do not have insurance through the higher education provider, you must be insured through your own insurance or show that you have applied for such insurance.
The insurance must be valid for the entire time you will be in Sweden and cover costs for emergency and other medical care, dental care and hospital stays. It must also cover expenses for transportation home for medical reasons.
How your notification is processed
It is important that it is you who are to study in Sweden personally notify the Swedish Migration Agency by a form. After a notification has been submitted, the Swedish Migration Agency has 30 days to decide if we have any objections to your stay in Sweden.
If you have not received a response to your notification within 30 days you have a right to begin studying in Sweden.
If your notification must be supplemented the 30 days are counted from the day that the supplementary documents are received at the Swedish Migration Agency.
If the Swedish Migration Agency objects to your stay in Sweden, you will receive a notice about this. You can appeal against such a decision. You can also choose to instead apply for a residence permit for studies in Sweden if you want to stay in Sweden for studies.
Shorter processing time for a complete notification
In order for the Swedish Migration Agency to be able to respond to your notification, it is necessary that all information is entered and all necessary documents are included. The processing of your notification will usually be faster if everything required is present from the beginning than if the notification needs to be supplemented afterwards.