Residence permits for researchers
If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU and want to work as a researcher, you are exempt from the requirement of a work permit, but you need to apply for a residence permit.
Requirements for residence permit
To be eligible for a residence permit, you must
- have a valid passport (if your passport will expire soon, you should renew it since you cannot get a permit for longer than the validity of your passport)
- have a hosting agreement with a research funding body (the party receiving the research work) that is approved by the Swedish Research Council
- have enough money for your stay in Sweden and to be able to pay your travel home
- have, or have applied for, comprehensive health insurance that is valid for care in Sweden
- pay a fee in most cases (fees for work permits).
You do not need a residence permit if you are to work for less than three months. However, citizens of certain countries need a visa to travel to Sweden.
If you have a residence permit for research in another EU country, you do not need a residence permit if your research in Sweden is conducted for a maximum of 180 days during a 360 day period. If your research is to be conducted in Sweden for a longer time, you need a residence permit for research in mobility for an extended stay. You can apply for such a permit while you are in Sweden. Use the e-service on this site to apply.
Your permit must be issued before travelling to Sweden. If you are in Sweden with a permit for studies, you can, however, apply online while you are in Sweden. If you have a residence permit for research in another EU country and are to conduct part of your research in Sweden, you can submit your application while you are in Sweden.
If you have a residence permit for research in another EU country, you can begin conducting research directly after you have submitted your application if:
- your residence permit in the other EU country is still valid and
- you have not already been in Sweden to conduct research for a maximum of 180 days in the past 360 days.
Requirements for using the e-service
In order to use the e-service, you need
- copies of the pages in your passport that show personal data, photo, signature, passport number, issuing country, period of validity and if you have permission to live in countries other than your home country
- the hosting agreement (that your research funding body sent to you).
- a certificate that you have, or have applied for, comprehensive health insurance (if you are to be in Sweden for a maximum of one year).
If you have a residence permit for research in another EU country, you must also send in
- a copy of your residence permit card from the EU country.