5 tips to increase your chances of a decision before the semester
Are you a non-EU citizen and have been admitted to higher education in Sweden? Then there are a few things that you need to consider in order for your application process to go as smoothly as possible.
Hello student! In order to study in Sweden, you need to apply for a residence permit for higher education. Here are some tips on how you can increase your chances of getting a decision on a residence permit before the semester begins:
- Once you have received the acceptance letter from the higher education institution – for example a university –, find out whether you need to pay a tuition fee to the higher education institution.
- After you have paid any tuition fees, apply for a residence permit for higher education at the Swedish Migration Agency as soon as possible. This gives us more time to process your application, and thus increases the chance that you will be notified before the semester starts.
- The easiest way to apply for a residence permit for higher education is to do it via the e-service Residence permit to study at higher education here on our website.
- Collect all your important documents. If you need to supplement with more documents later, it will take longer for you to receive a decision.
- Make sure you have a valid passport. You can only get a residence permit for as long as your passport is valid.
You may be asked to present your passport in person at an embassy or consulate general. You need to do this before the Swedish Migration Agency can make a decision on your application for a residence permit.
Remember to also report your change of address to the Tax Agency:
Report a change of address as a student External link, opens in new window.