How much you must pay for your accommodation

If you are an asylum seeker or have temporary protection under the Temporary Protection Directive and the Swedish Migration Agency or the municipality has provided you with accommodation, you must pay for the accommodation if you have an income or other assets. How much you pay for the accommodation depends on the size of your family and whether food is served at the accommodation.

Married and cohabiting couples share responsibility for the family's finances. If only one partner is earning an income then he/she must pay for his/her family’s accommodation. It is important that you tell your Reception Unit if your family's income changes.

Accommodation without food costs SEK 2,100 per month for adults and SEK 1,050 per month for children. You only have to pay for two children, even if there are more than two children in your family.


Two adults live with their three children in accommodation that does not include food. Regardless of whether only one or both of the parents work, the family must pay for accommodation for two adults and two children:

SEK 2,100 + SEK 2,100 + SEK 1,050 + SEK 1,050 = SEK 6,300

The family does not have to pay for the third child.

Accom­mo­da­tion where food is included

In some accommodations, meals are served in a shared dining area. If you stay in an accommodation where food is included, you must pay for the food every month, even if you sometimes choose not to eat the food that is served.

If food is served at the accommodation, then in addition to the cost of the accommodation, you must pay:

  • SEK 1,410 for a single adult
  • SEK 1,260 per month for for cohabiting and married couples who live together
  • SEK 1,260 per month for young adults aged 18–20 who live with their parents
  • SEK 750 per month for children aged 3 and under
  • SEK 930 per month for children between the ages of 4 and 10
  • SEK 1,140 per month for children between the ages of 11 and 17

The cost of food must be paid for all children in the family.


There are situations when you do not have to pay for food and accommodation, even if you have an income or other assets. This applies when your income and other assets are so low that the amount you have left after you have paid for food and accommodation falls below the so-called ‘national standard for income support’. The national standard for income support is determined by the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare and updated every year. Please tell your Reception Unit about your financial situation. They will then help you find out whether or not you need to pay for your accommodation and food.

Here you can read about how the national standard for income support is calculated (only in Swedish) External link, opens in new window.

Last updated: