Studying and researching in Sweden

In order to study for more than 90 days in Sweden, you must have a residence permit. Read more about how to apply for a permit for studies or research in Sweden.


  • New residence permit cards from 1 January

    From 1 January 2022, the residence permit cards (“UT cards”) and residence cards issued by the Swedish Migration Agency will look a bit different.

  • Exemption from the requirement of full-time studies for extension

    The Swedish Migration Agency has extended the possibility of exemptions from the requirement of full-time studies in higher education. The new rules apply to you who needs to extend your residence permit beyond the regular period of study in order to complete your education.

  • Permanent residence permits for children of doctoral students

    Since 20 July, new requirements apply for anyone who wants to apply for a permanent residence permit. The Swedish Migration Agency is currently receiving many questions on how these new requirements affect children’s possibilities of obtaining permanent residence permits.

  • New requirements for permanent residence permits

    Since 20 July, applicants for a permanent residence permit must fulfil new requirements. Among other things, you must be able to support yourself financially and are expected to live a law-abiding life. The new special requirements apply to everyone, regardless of the type of permit you already have.