Invite relatives or friends who need visas in order to travel to Sweden

Citizens of a non-EU country may need a visa to visit Sweden. A visa is a permit to travel to and stay in a country for a limited period. If you wish to invite a relative or friend to visit you and that person needs a visa, please fill out an invitation form and send it to the person who intends to visit you. He or she should hand in the invitation form along with his/her visa application at a Swedish embassy or consulate-general.

Invitation required from you

The person you wish to invite must have an invitation from you. The Swedish Migration Agency has a special form, Invitation, number 241011, which you must complete and send to the person you wish to invite to Sweden. You should also enclose

  • a special civic registration certificate for the purpose Invitation (Inbjudan). This can be ordered from the Swedish Tax Agency. The civic registration certificate does not have to be stamped or signed by the Swedish Tax Agency or any other authority.
  • copy of your ID card, passport or equivalent, which proves your identity.
  • documents which show details of income and assets for the person who pays for the applicant's upkeep during the visit in Sweden. You can find examples of which document to submit in the form.

Invitation, form number 241011 (in English)PDF

The Swedish Tax Agencyexternal link, opens in new window

Application is by the invitee

You cannot apply for a visa on someone else's behalf. Your relative or friend must submit their application, the invitation form, the ID card copy and the civic registration certificate at the same time.

Information about visiting friends and relatives

Countries whose citizens require a visaexternal link, opens in new window

Countries where Sweden is represented by another Schengen stateexternal link, opens in new window

Last updated: 2018-10-22

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.