Extending a work permit
If you have a work permit and want to keep working after your permit has expired, you need to apply for an extension of your work permit. If you have had a permit as an employee for six months or more and apply before your current permit expires, you are entitled to keep working while waiting for a decision.
You must submit tax returns from the Swedish Tax Agency for a complete application
When you apply for an extension of your work permit, the Migration Agency checks that the conditions for a work permit have been met during the periods of validity of each of your previous work permit periods. For applications to be complete, you need to submit PAYE tax returns from the Swedish Tax Agency for the entire period that you have worked in Sweden.
Continue to work while waiting for a decision
If you have held a work permit you must have held that permit for six months or more in order to continue to work while waiting for a decision. If you change employer or occupation, and submit a new application for a work permit before your previous permit expires, you can start working before you have received your decision regardless of the time you have held a work permit in Sweden.
Extending your work permit
In order to extend your work permit you must have worked at the employment for which you received a work permit, your salary and other terms of employment must have been at least equivalent to what is stated in the collective agreement or is considered the practice in your profession or industry. You must also have worked to the extent that the employment have enabled you to achieve a good income. This means that you must have had a monthly salary that amounts to at least 80 percent of the median salary published by Statistics Sweden (SCB) and which was valid at the time of application.
These conditions must have been met during the entire time that you have held a work permit in Sweden.
You must also have been covered by health insurance, life insurance, occupational injury insurance and occupational pension insurance for the entire period for which you have held a work permit in Sweden.
When you apply for an extension of your work permit, you will need to demonstrate that the conditions of the work permit have been met during the entire time you have held a work permit in Sweden. You must also show that you have an employment that satisfies the conditions for a work permit. You do this by enclosing your employment contract in your application.
You can apply to extend you permit online. Apply at the earliest four months before your current permit expires. You should submit your application while your current permit is still valid. If you apply after your current permit has expired, you are not allowed to work while your application is being processed.
PAYE tax return from the Swedish Tax Agency
To show that you have fulfilled the conditions for a work permit, you must submit a summary of your PAYE tax return from the Swedish Tax Agency for all years that you have worked in Sweden, which shows both your total income and who has paid your salary or other sources of income.
If you do not have e-ID, you must contact or visit the Swedish Tax Agency and ask for a summary of PAYE tax returns that shows both income from all employers and income from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency.
Change of employer or occupation
During the first 24 months, the work permit is only applicable to the specific employer and occupation indicated in your decision. If the company you are working at changes its registration number, you change employers, are given new duties, or the conditions of your employment change, your work permit will no longer be valid. If you want to continue working, in such a case, you should submit a new application for a work permit before you start your new employment. Your previous decision indicates the kind of work for which your work permit is valid.
Once you have held a work permit for 24 months and have had your work permit extended, you can change employers without filing a new application as long as you continue to work in the same occupation or profession. If your new job involves a change of profession, you must submit a new application. Your previous decision indicates any limitations with regard to your work permit.
Once you have submitted your application, you are permitted to begin working before receiving a decision, provided that you submitted your application before the previous permit expired. Your new employer is required to have advertised the position in Sweden and within EU/EEA and Switzerland before you have been hired.
When you apply for an extension of your work permit, you will need to demonstrate that the conditions of the work permit have been met during the entire time you have held a work permit in Sweden. You must also show that you have an employment that meets the conditions of your work permit. You do this by enclosing your employment contract in your application.
Permanent residence permit
You can apply for a permanent residence permit in connection with applying for an extended work permit.
To be granted a permanent residence permit you must
- have had, and fulfilled the requirements for, a work permit as an employee and have worked in Sweden for four years over the past seven years
- be able to support yourself financially
- live an orderly life.
If you do not meet the requirements for a permanent residence permit, you may still be granted an extension of your work permit, if you meet those requirements. Please note that you must then meet the requirements of a good income for work permit, which is higher that the requirement of being able to support yourself for a permanent residence permit.
How to apply for an extension to your work permit
The employer initiates the application
Your employer in Sweden initiates the work permit application by providing information about the employment. Your employer needs information about your name, date of birth, citizenship, education and your email address.
It is important that you have access the email address you give your employer until you have received a decision regarding your application. The Swedish Migration Agency will use this email address to communicate with you throughout the application period.
You receive an email
When your employer has provided information about the employment you will receive an email with information about how to apply for a work permit.
In the application you provide information about yourself. If you have a family which also needs residence permits you apply for their permits at the same time. You should also check that the information about your employment terms in the information about the employment corresponds with what you and your employer have agreed on.
The following documents are to be scanned or photographed and sent with your application:
- copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the passport's period of validity, the bar code on the identification identity page and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin
- a summary of your PAYE tax return from the Swedish Tax Agency for each of the years you have worked in Sweden, showing both your total income and who paid your salary and what other income sources you have
- payslips for the current year
- your employment contract
- letters from each employer you have worked for in Sweden certifying that you worked there
- a certified statement showing any absences from work, such as a notice of payment from Swedish National Insurance
- information on which insurance company your employer has taken out insurance policies with, your insurance number, and the period of validity of the insurance policies
- a power of attorney if you are representing the applicant.
If you have changed employer or occupation during the term of the permit, you must submit documents that apply to each of the jobs you have had. Please prepare all documents before you begin your part of the application.
If your passport is about to expire, you should renew it as you cannot obtain a permit for longer than the validity of your passport.
Employment as a personal assistant
If you are applying for a work permit as a personal assistant you must attach a copy of the decision issued by the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) regarding assistance benefits. This decision shows that you have somebody that you will be working with and that this person is entitled to an assistance benefit.
If your family is also applying for an extension you must attach
- copies of the pages in your family members' passports which show their personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport's validity, bar code on the identification page and whether they have permission to live in countries other than their country of origin.
If your family is applying for residence permits for the first time
If your family did not apply for permits when you applied for a work permit the last time and are now moving to Sweden you must also attach
- copies of the pages in their passports which show their personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport's validity, bar code on the identification page and whether they have permission to live in countries other than their country of origin
- copies of marriage certificates or the equivalent (applies to married couples or registered partners)
- documents showing that you have lived together in your country of origin (applies to cohabiting partners)
- birth certificates for children
- consent from the other parent/legal guardian, if they are not also coming to Sweden, stating that the child is allowed to move to Sweden, or documents that show you are the sole parent/legal guardian
- documents showing that children above the age of 21 are financially dependent on their parents
- adoption documents if the child was adopted
- power of attorney if you are representing all members of the family who are over 18 years and who are co-applicants
- documents that show that you have enough income to support yourself and your family. The documents required are listed in the e-service or in the application form.
The above-mentioned documents should be translated into Swedish or English by an authorized translator. You should always submit both a copy of the original document a copy of the translation.
In order for your family to receive a residence permit, you must be able to support yourself and your family.
If you are granted a permanent residence permit there will be other requirements for you family. In most cases you must fulfil a maintenance requirement. This means that in addition to a sufficiently large income you also need to have a home that is of an adequate size and standard for all of you to live in.
If you are applying for a permanent residence permit and your family is applying for residence permits at the same time, you must also attach
- documents showing that your income is sufficient to support yourself and your family financially and that you have a home of sufficient size and standard for all of you to live in.
If your family apply for a permanent residence permit, the application will not be examined until the requirements for an extended residence permit have been met.
If your family is applying for a permanent residence permit, you must also attach documents showing that your adult family members can support themselves financially:
- If the family member is working: documents showing that he or she is an employee or a self-employed person, and the size of his or her income.
- If the family member is entitled to a pension: a decision from the Swedish Pensions Agency stating that he or she is entitled to income-based retirement pension, guarantee pension or financial support for the elderly.
- If the family member is unable to support himself/herself financially but has special grounds, e.g. permanent impairment of working capacity: documents showing this, e.g. an investigation by the Swedish Public Employment Service, a decision on entitlement to sickness benefit or activity compensation from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency, or a medical certificate.
A statement of consent is a signed letter from the parent who has custody but will not be accompanying the child to Sweden, in which he or she agrees that your child should be granted a residence permit to settle in Sweden. The statement of consent should contain
- the name, date of birth and address of the parent who consents
- the name and date of birth of the child to which the statement of consent relates
- a statement that the parent agrees that the child should be granted a residence permit to settle in Sweden
- the signature of parent consenting, along with his or her name in printed letters.
Pay and submit your application
In most cases you must pay a fee. You can pay using Visa or Mastercard. The card must be enabled for Internet payment. Contact your bank for more information.
When the fee is paid you submit your application. You and your employer will receive an email confirming that your application has been submitted. The Migration Agency will contact you if it needs more information.
The Migration Agency processes the application
If you have submitted an application for extension you are entitled to remain in Sweden until the Migration Agency has made a decision. You are also entitled to keep working for your employer if the application is submitted before your current permit expires.
Remember that you are only entitled to keep working during the waiting period if your application is received by the Migration Agency before your previous permit expires.
For the Migration Agency to make a decision about your application, all the details need to be filled in and all necessary documents attached. This means that the processing time will be shorter if all the necessary information is included from the start than if information is added afterwards.
Note that the Migration Agency may in some cases need to further examine your application even if you have included all the required information and documents.
Travelling abroad during the processing time
If you are travelling abroad as your permit expires, you may have trouble re-entering Sweden before your new permit is approved. You may need to await your new permit outside of Sweden. If you urgently need to return to Sweden before this, it is possible to apply for an entry visa. This visa allows you to travel back to Sweden and wait for the decision about your extension. Apply for a visa at a Swedish embassy or consulate-general in the country where you are now. You can travel back to Sweden without an entry visa if you are visa exemption.
If you need to make a business trip outside Sweden while your application is being processed, you can to apply for a visa, a so-called D-visa.
Show your passport
The Swedish Migration Agency may need to check your passport before a decision can be made. You will then need to visit one of the Swedish Migration Agency's service centres to present your passport.
In some cases, you will not be required to present your passport, for example, if we have already checked your passport during a previous visit.
If you need to show your passport, we will contact you with information on how and when to do so.
Information needed for residence permit card
If you receive a permit you will also receive a residence permit card. The card proves that you have permission to reside in Sweden and contains information such as your fingerprints and a photograph. You therefore need to book an appointment at the Migration Agency to be photographed and fingerprinted as soon as possible. You need to do this even if you have previously had a residence permit card, as your photograph and fingerprints are not saved.
The decision is sent to you
You will receive an email confirming that a decision has been made. The actual decision is then sent to your address in Sweden. Your employer will also receive a notification about the decision by mail.
You may be granted a work permit for the duration of the employment but never for longer than the validity of your passport. A work permit can be obtained for a maximum of two years at a time. If it is difficult for the Migration Agency to determine how long the employment will last, you may obtain a work permit for a shorter period of time. When the residence permit card is ready it is sent to you within about a week.
If you are granted a permanent residence permit, it is valid for as long as you are resident in Sweden.
A family member who does not meet the requirements for a permanent residence permit may still be granted a continued residence permit as a close relative, and can apply for a permanent residence permit the next time they are able to apply for an extended permit.
Appealing work permit decisions
If the Swedish Migration Agency rejects your application for an extended work permit, you can appeal against the decision within three weeks of the date on which you were notified of the decision. Your decision will contain information about how to do this.
If the Swedish Migration Agency rejects your application for a permanent residence permit on the grounds that you do not meet the maintenance requirement or orderliness requirement, you can appeal within three weeks of the date on which you were notified of the decision.
If you do not apply online
If you cannot apply online you fill in the form Application for Swedish work permit, 149011. If your family in Sweden also needs residence permits each family member must submit their own application. The application form specifies which documents to enclose.
Send your application to:
The Swedish Migration Agency
903 03 Umeå
In most cases you must pay a fee.
If you are planning to apply to extend your work permit, you must do so before your current permit expires. If you apply after your current permit has expired, you are not allowed to work while your application is being processed. Right when you are granted the initial work permit, there are already things you can do to prepare for your application to extend it.
- Make sure that your employer has taken out insurance for you. In most cases, your employer should provide you insurance cover in the form of occupational injury insurance, health insurance, life insurance, and occupational pension insurance. The Swedish Migration Agency sometimes requires proof of this. You can obtain the certificates of insurance from your employer. Ask for certificates of insurance from your old employer if you change employer.
- When you apply for an extension, you must submit PAYE tax return from the Swedish Tax Agency for the time period you have worked in Sweden. PAYE tax return contain information about your salary and other income, as well as what tax you paid during that year. You can obtain the PAYE tax return from the Swedish Tax Agency. Before submitting your application for extension, you should therefore visit the Swedish Tax Agency website and log in with your e-ID to print the summary for each year you have worked in Sweden.
- Save your payslips. There is a chance that you will not have to submit all of your payslips to the Swedish Migration Agency when you apply for an extension, but it is a good idea to save them in case the Swedish Migration Agency needs to check them when processing your application. You must always submit the payslips of the current year when applying for an extension.
- Save statements indicating any absence from work, such as a notice of payment from Försäkringskassan.
- If there are any changes to your employment (such as working in a smaller or larger scope), it is a good idea to save documents that show this, such as your employment contract.
- Save the statement of employment that you receive from your employer if you change jobs. In some cases, you may have to apply for a new work permit. Read more under Change of employer or occupation
- Check the information found in your decision and on your residence permit card. These will state which profession you are allowed to work in, and for which employer. These will also state how long the work permit is valid. You must apply to extend your work permit before your previous permit expires.