If you have visited an employer in Sweden and want to apply for a work permit
If you have travelled to Sweden to meet an employer and have been offered a job, in certain cases you can apply for a work permit from within Sweden. There must be a shortage of labour within the profession and the employer will find it difficult to run their business if you have to leave Sweden to apply for a permit. You must apply for and have been granted a work permit before starting work in Sweden.
To be able to apply for a work permit without having to leave the country
- there must be a high demand for labour, see list of professions with a labour shortage (only in Swedish)
- your employer must have a critical need for your skills, which means that the business cannot be run properly if you have to travel to your country of origin to apply for a permit
- the reason for your visit to Sweden was to meet an employer. The possibility to apply for a work permit in Sweden does not apply if you have arrived as a tourist or to visit a friend or relative, even if you have been offered a job during your visit
- you must submit an application during the visa exemption period (90 days) or the visa's validity period.
- you must have a valid passport
- you must be offered work with terms of employment that are at least on par with Swedish collective agreements or that which is customary within the occupation or industry
- you must be offered employment in which your monthly salary is at least SEK 13,000 before tax
- your employer must meet certain requirements.
Your employer must have advertised the position in Sweden and in the EU/EEA and Switzerland for at least 10 days.
How to apply for a work permit
The employer initiates the application
Your employer in Sweden initiates the work permit application by creating an offer of employment. Your employer needs information about your name, date of birth, citizenship, education and your email address.
It is important that you have access the email address you give your employer until you have received a decision regarding your application. The Swedish Migration Agency will use this email address to communicate with you throughout the application period.
You receive an email
When your employer has created an offer of employment you will receive an email with information about how to apply for a work permit.
In this application you provide information about yourself. If you have a family which also needs residence permits you apply for their permits at the same time. You should also check that the information about your employment terms in the offer of employment corresponds with what you and your employer have agreed on.
The following documents are to be scanned/photographed and sent with your application
- copies of the pages in your passport that show your personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport-issuing country, the passport's period of validity and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin.
- the offer of employment and a statement from the applicable trade union organisation that you have received from your employer
- proof that your employer will encounter serious problems if you must leave Sweden to apply for a permit
- documents that show the purpose of your visit to Sweden was to visit an employer.
If your passport is about to expire, you should renew it as you cannot obtain a permit for longer than the validity of your passport.
If you are also applying for residence permits for your family
- copies of the pages in your family members' passports that show personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport-issuing country, the passport's period of validity and whether they have permission to live in countries other than their country of origin.
- copies of marriage certificates or the equivalent (applies to married couples or registered partners)
- documents showing that you have lived together in your country of origin (applies to cohabiting partners)
- birth certificates for children
- permission from the other custodian, if this person is not coming to Sweden, stating that the child is allowed to move to Sweden
- documents showing that children above the age of 21 are financially dependent on their parents
- adoption papers if the child is adopted.
The documents should be translated into Swedish or English by an authorised public translator. Copies of original documents should always be included.
Family members who are outside of Sweden and applying for a residence permit must visit a Swedish embassy or consulate-general to receive a residence permit card.
Pay and submit your application
In most cases you must pay a fee. You can pay using Visa or Mastercard. The card must be enabled for Internet payment. Contact your bank for more information.
When the fee has been paid, you submit your application. You will receive an email confirming that your application has been submitted. The Migration Agency will contact you if it needs more information.
The Migration Agency processes the application
If you meet the requirements for applying for a work permit from within Sweden, you have the right to stay while waiting for your decision. You must have been granted a work permit before starting work in Sweden.
Before the Migration Agency can make a decision on your case, you must have provided all the information we have asked for and sent us all the necessary documents. The processing time will be shorter if you send us all the information we need when you first submit your application.
Please note that in certain cases, even if you have sent us all the necessary information and documents, the Migration Agency may need to investigate your application further.
Information needed for residence permit card
If you are granted a permit for more than three months you will receive a residence permit card. The card proves that you have permission to reside in Sweden and contains information such as your fingerprints and a photograph. You therefore need to schedule an appointment at the Migration Agency to be photographed and fingerprinted as soon as possible. You need to do this even if you have previously had a residence permit card, as your photograph and fingerprints are not saved.
The decision is sent to you
You will receive an email confirming that a decision has been made. The actual decision is then sent to your address in Sweden. Your employer will also receive a notification about the decision by mail. When the residence permit card is ready it is sent to you within about a week.
If you do not apply online
If you cannot apply online, fill in the form Application for a permit to work in Sweden – for persons in Sweden, no 151011. If your family in Sweden also needs residence permits, each family member must submit their own application. The application form specifies which documents you must send with your application.
Send your application to
The Swedish Migration Agency,
903 03 Umeå
In most cases you must pay a fee.