Frequently asked questions about Swedish citizenship

No. The Swedish Migration Agency will contact you by letter if we want you to submit your passport.

No. We will send you a receipt by letter when the application is registered.

You can take a test to see if you can become a Swedish citizen. Go to the page Testa om du kan bli svensk medborgare (in Swedish). Answer the questions and find out if you seem to meet the requirements for Swedish citizenship.

We work on the applications for Swedish citizenship in Norrköping and Göteborg.

If anything is missing in your case, your administrator will contact you when he or she begins working on your case.

Yes, you need to sign it again.

If your address is incorrect, you should contact the Swedish Tax Agency to change your officially registered address. If your phone number is incorrect you must contact the Migration Agency.

We will contact you by letter when processing your case.

If you have children during the processing time or forgot to include the child in your application, you and the child’s other guardian must notify the Swedish Migration Agency that you want the child to become a Swedish citizen together with you in a letter that you both have signed.

No, it does not affect the wait time. You keep your place in the queue.

In order to get your passport back, you have to fill in a form at If you do not need your passport right now, we want you to wait to get your passport back.

Request to get back passport in connection with an application for Swedish citizenship

From 3 May 2019, we do not sign the certificate of citizenship.

The Unit for Citizenship only sends the certificate of citizenship once. However, you can request a copy of your certificate by filling out a form on the website.

Read more about how to request a copy of your certificate of citizenship from the Swedish Migration Agency

If you feel that the processing of your application is taking too long, you are able to send in a written request that the Swedish Migration Agency conclude your case. For you to be able to send in a request to the Swedish Migration Agency, six months must have passed since you sent in your application. Then the Swedish Migration Agency has to either conclude your case or refuse your request within four weeks.

To request that the Swedish Migration Agency conclude your case, you must do so in writing. Feel free to use the form Request to conclude a case, 271011, and send it to the Swedish Migration Agency.

You can only send in one request in each case.

Request to conclude a case, form 271011PDF

We return original documents by recommended post within three weeks from the date of the decision.

Last updated: 2021-10-07