Planning to get married or become a cohabiting partner

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and want to move to a family member in Sweden, you require a residence permit. You can be granted a residence permit if you are planning to marry or become the cohabiting partner of someone in Sweden. The family member in Sweden must be a Swedish citizen or have a permanent residence permit.

Future spouses or cohabiting partners

You may be granted a residence permit if you are planning to marry or become the cohabiting partner of someone who lives in Sweden.

Go to online application

Instructions for online application

Maintenance requirement

The person you are to live with in Sweden must be able to support you both. He or she must also have suitable accommodation in terms of size and standard, where you can live together when you move to Sweden.

Read more about the maintenance and accommodation requirements

You must be able to prove your identity

In order to obtain a residence permit to move to someone in Sweden, you must be able to prove your identity. You usually do this with a valid passport.

Read more about what applies to those who cannot prove their identity here

Bild på en man.

Vanida lives in Thailand and has met Olle from Sweden. They have decided that they want to live together in Sweden. Vanida applies for a residence permit online. As Vanida has a child from a previous relationship who will move with her to Sweden, she includes a residence permit application for the child in the same online application. She has also asked her ex-husband for approval to have the child move to Sweden. Olle is sent a questionnaire by email. When Olle has answered the questionnaire, the Swedish Migration Agency begins processing Vanida's application. Vanida gets an email with information about scheduling an interview at the Swedish embassy in Bangkok. Vanida's child must also come to the interview.

If Vanida is granted a residence permit she will also be issued with a residence permit card. This card proves that she has permission to live in Sweden and it contains information such as her fingerprints and photograph. Vanida therefore has her fingerprints and photograph taken at the interview. Vanida's child is also photographed but does not need to have fingerprints taken as the child is under 6 years of age. Vanida cannot move to Sweden until she has received her residence permit and the residence permit card is ready. She will receive the residence permit decision and residence permit card through the Swedish embassy.

Bild på en man.

Kim and Charlie met online. Charlie visited Kim in China and they became a couple. While Kim is visiting Charlie in Sweden, they decide that they want to live together in Sweden. Kim submits a residence permit application to the Swedish Migration Agency.

The Migration Agency rejects the application as he must apply from his country of origin. Kim returns to China and applies online instead.

Last updated: 2019-04-23

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.