Residence permit to move to a spouse, registered partner or cohabiting partner in Sweden

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and want to move to a family member in Sweden, you require a residence permit. You can be granted a residence permit if you are married to, have entered into a partnership with, or are the cohabiting partner of someone in Sweden. The family member in Sweden must be a Swedish citizen, have a permanent residence permit, permanent right of residence or a permanent residence card.

Spouses, registered partners or cohabiting partners

You are entitled to receive a residence permit if you are married to, have entered into a registered partnership with, or are the cohabiting partner of someone who lives in Sweden. Your partner should register your marriage or partnership with the Swedish Tax Agency.

Cohabiting partners refers to couples who are not married but live together as if married. It is not enough that you have lived together during a tourist visit.

Read more about how to apply for a residence permit to move to a spouse, registered partner or cohabiting partner in Sweden

If you are an EU citizen and want to move to a family member who is also an EU citizen, you may have right of residence. Then you do not need a residence permit.

Read more about right of residence for EU citizens' family who are EU citizens

Maintenance requirement

The person you are going to live with in Sweden must be able to support both of you. He or she must also have a home of sufficient size and standard for you both to live in when you move to Sweden.

Read more about the maintenance requirement

You must be able to prove your identity

In order to obtain a residence permit to move to someone in Sweden, you must be able to prove your identity. You usually do this with a valid passport. If you cannot prove your identity with a valid passport you may, in certain cases, obtain a residence permit by proving a biological relationship with the person in Sweden. This applies to families with children who have lived together outside of Sweden.

Read more about what applies for you who cannot prove your identity

Bild på en man.

Dalaiya from Somalia has been granted a permanent residence permit as a refugee in Sweden. She now wants to reunite with her husband and children who live in Somalia. The husband and children do not have any identification documents. The family therefore have saliva samples taken at the Swedish Embassy in Addis Ababa to show that they are biologically related. Dalaiya has a saliva sample of her own taken by the Swedish Migration Agency. As the samples show Dalaiya is the children's biological mother, all children are granted residence permits as they are below 18 years of age. Dalaiya's husband is also granted a residence permit as the test shows that he is the children's biological father. When submitting their applications, the husband and children also submit an application for aliens' passports to be able to enter Sweden.

The father and children have their fingerprints taken and are photographed at the Swedish Embassy in order to receive their residence permit cards and aliens' passports. They must show the residence permit cards when entering Sweden.

Bild på en man.

Sara and Felipe met when Sara was working in South America and they have lived together in Argentina for five years. They are not married, but have lived at the same address and have had both their names on the rental contract. They have decided to move to Sweden as Sara is pregnant. She has also found a job in Sweden, so she is able to support Felipe.

Felipe submits an online application to move to someone whom is already his spouse or cohabiting partner. He includes a copy of his passport, a copy of the rental contract showing that he and Sara have lived together, and a certificate showing that Sara is pregnant. As Sara is not registered as living in Sweden, they also include a copy of the contract of sale for the house they have bought in Sweden.

When the Swedish Migration Agency has processed Felipe's application, he is granted a permanent residence permit as he and Sara have already lived together abroad for such a long period. Felipe is also not required to have a visa to enter Sweden which means that they can travel to Sweden as soon as they have received the decision. After arriving in Sweden, Felipe schedules an appointment at the Swedish Migration Agency to have his photograph and fingerprints taken for the residence permit card. When the card is finished, it is sent to their address in Sweden.

Last updated: 2018-03-01

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.