Make an online application

On this page you can make an application for a residence permit to move to someone in Sweden, or make an application to extend your residence permit.

When you make an online application, you will be given clear instructions on how to fill in the application form, and what you need to enclose. It is easy to get things right from the start, which means you are more likely to receive a decision all the sooner.

Your family member in Sweden can make an online application for you if you give him or her a power of attorney. Power of attorney means that you give someone else permission to represent you, for example, to apply on your behalf, or to be advised of the reasons for a decision. To give another person power of attorney, you can use the form “Power of Attorney”. The power of attorney should be signed by you.

Power of Attorney – Form number 107011PDF

You will then need to scan or photocopy the power of attorney and send it to your close relative, who should then enclose the copy of the power of attorney with the application. If your family member has a power of attorney, the decision will be sent to their home and he or she will inform you of the Swedish Migration Agency’s decision. If you have not given anyone a power of attorney, the embassy or consulate-general will inform you of the decision.

Swedish embassies and consulates-generalexternal link, opens in new window

Apply for the first time

You can not submit an online application to move to a family member if you are already in Sweden. You must return to your country of origin, or where you are permanently resident, and make your application from there.

Extending a permit

If you have a residence permit and wish to continue living in Sweden after your permit has expired, you should apply for an extension of your permit.

Last updated: 2021-06-10