How to apply for a residence permit to live with someone in Sweden with whom you are planning to marry or become common law spouses


Fill in the application

In the application, fill in information about yourself and the person in Sweden that you want to move to. You shall also enclose various documents. In addition to the address, telephone number and e-mail address of the family member in Sweden, you also need his or her Swedish personal identity number.

You must also specify the Swedish embassy or consulate general you wish to visit to do your interview. You must visit the embassy or consulate general in the country you live in. If there is no Swedish embassy or consulate general in the country, you are to contact the nearest neighbouring country in which there is a Swedish embassy or consulate general and where you have permission to travel. If you have children under 18 who are also moving to Sweden, you can apply for a residence permit for them at the same time.

In order to apply online

  • you and the person moving to Sweden must be older than 18
  • you must have a valid e-mail address
  • you must be able to pay the application fee by Visa or MasterCard/Eurocard
  • you must be able to scan or photograph the documents you are enclosing.

Documents to be enclosed

  • copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature (where appropriate), passport number, passport issuing country, the passport's period of validity and permission to live in countries other than your country of origin.

If your passport is about to expire, you should renew it as you cannot obtain a permit for longer than the validity of your passport.

If you are unmarried, you must also enclose

  • a civil registration certificate or similar that proves you are unmarried.

If you have children under 18 who will move with you to Sweden, you must also enclose

  • a copy of the child's passport showing personal information and the period of validity
  • a birth certificate where the parents' names are indicated
  • consent for the child moving with you to Sweden from the other custodian if they are not accompanying you to Sweden
  • a court decision if you have sole custody or a death certificate if the other parent is deceased
  • adoption papers if the child is adopted.

In Sweden, both custodians have the right to participate in decisions concerning the child. Therefore, the other custodian who is not coming to Sweden must give consent for the child to move to Sweden. Consent can be in the form of a letter signed by the other custodian which states that he or she approves of the child moving.

If you are pregnant, you must also enclose

  • a certificate of pregnancy.

The documents should be translated to Swedish or English by an authorised translator. Copies of original documents should always be included.

Note that if you previously submitted an application for a residence permit that has not yet been decided on, please do not submit a new online application. Instead, contact the Migration Board if you want to change your application or provide additional information. The waiting time in your case will not be shortened if you make a new online application.

Power of attorney to represent you

A power of attorney can be a signed letter stating that, as the person applying for a permit, you are authorising another person to represent you. A power of attorney can, for example, give someone the right to make an application, see the reasons for a decision or appeal a decision on behalf of another person. The power of attorney must be signed by you as the residence permit applicant, and the original copy must be provided if requested by the Migration Board.

To be considered valid, a power of attorney must indicate

  • that it is a power of attorney
  • the name, date of birth and address of the person who is authorising another person to act on their behalf
  • what the authorised person has the right to do
  • the name, personal identity number and address of the authorised person
  • the signature of the person who is authorising another person.

If you want your family member in Sweden to represent you, you can give him or her power of attorney. If your family member has power of attorney, the decision will be sent to them, and it is his or her responsibility to inform you of the Migration Board's decision. If you have not given power of attorney to anyone, the Embassy or Consulate General will inform you of the decision.


Pay the fee

In most cases you must pay a fee. You pay the fee by credit card or debit card at the time of application. The application will determine whether or not you need to pay based on the information you fill in about yourself and your family member.

Read more about fees


Questionnaire for the family member in Sweden

When the Migration Board has received your application, your family member will receive an e-mail. The e-mail contains instructions for logging in to a form with questions about your relationship that your family member must answer within 14 days.


Book an appointment at the embassy or consulate general

When the Migration Board has reviewed your application and questionnaire, you will receive an e-mail asking you to book an appointment for an interview at the embassy or consulate general.

Swedish embassy and consulate general websitesexternal link, opens in new window



Bring your passport and originals of the documents you submitted with your application. During the interview you will have to answer questions about your relationship with the person in Sweden. Children applying must also attend.

If you receive a residence permit you will also receive a residence permit card. The card includes information such as your fingerprints and a photograph of you. The fingerprints and photograph are only stored on the card's chip.

If you need a visa to travel to Sweden, you need a residence permit card when you travel to Sweden. You will therefore be photographed and asked to provide your fingerprints in connection with your interview.

If you do not need a visa to travel to Sweden, you can travel without a residence permit card and submit information for the residence permit card to the Migration Board after arriving in Sweden.

Read more about residence permit cards

Read about how the Migration Board works with LGBT and gender issues


The Migration Board processes the application

The Migration Board prioritises the applications where all information is complete and all required documents have been submitted. This means that you will receive a decision more quickly if all required information is included when you submit your application and you do not need to supplement the application later on. Note that the Migration Board may in some cases need to further examine your application even if you have included all the required information and documents.

If the Migration Board needs more information from you

The Migration Board will contact you if we need additional information or documents from you. You do not need to contact the Migration Board. If you have applied online and the Migration Board asks you to supplement your application, please do so via e-mail. You should not submit documents to the Migration Board by regular mail. You can learn more about how to supplement your case in the e-mail that the Migration Board sends when you need to submit more information.

You may not enter Sweden while your application is being considered. Your permit must be ready before you travel to Sweden.

Current waiting times


Receiving the decision

When the decision is made you will receive an e-mail. You should contact the Embassy or Consulate General to receive the decision documentation and possibly schedule a time to collect it. You need to bring your passport when collecting the decision. Some Embassies and Consulates General send out the decision and the residence permit card by mail. Please contact the Embassy or Consulate General for further information.

If you have given someone power of attorney to represent you, the decision will be sent it to that person. He or she will inform you of the decision.

Read more under After the decision has been made.

If you are unable to apply online, you can apply at a Swedish Embassy or Consulate General.

Technical problems?

Contact our web support.

Disturbances may occur in this electronic application service on Sunday 1 March 16:30– 20:00 (Swedish time) due to maintenance work.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Terms of use  

In order to complete your application you must accept the terms of use. Through these terms of use the Migration Board wishes to inform you of the regulations that apply to our online application.

If you cannot see any text here, please click on the link Print Terms of use below.
NOTE! To use our online application your web browser must allow JavaScript.

Begin application

I am presently

You can not submit an online application to move to a family member if you are already in Sweden. You must return to your country of origin, or where you are permanently resident, and make your application from there.

  • conditions of use
  • that my information is sent over the Internet
  • that the Migration Board can process my online application
  • that personal information may be used and saved by the bank, credit card company or other paying service that I pay through.

If you do not check this box you cannot begin your application.

Last updated: 15 January 2015