Residence permit if the relationship ends

In order to extend your residence permit you must still remain in a relationship with your partner. However, if your relationship has ended, you may, in certain cases, be permitted to stay.

Ties to Sweden

You may have your residence permit extended if you have ties to Sweden. Your ties to Sweden could be to a new partner, to your child who has the right to live in Sweden, to the job market if you have worked, or if you, by some other means, have adapted yourself into Swedish society.

If you meet someone new

You can apply for a residence permit if you find a new partner in Sweden. In order to extend a residence permit it is usually essential that you will live together. You should submit details of your partner's name, address and telephone number as well as their personal identity number. If you are married you should provide a marriage certificate. You can prove that you live together with documents such as the rental agreement or sales contract for your home, provided that you are both signatories.

If you have a child in Sweden

If you would like to remain in Sweden because you have a child that has the right to live here, you may apply for a residence permit due to ties to your child. You should provide details of who has custody of the child and where they live. If the child does not live with you, but you have visitation rights, you can demonstrate this with, for example, a court judgment. If you do not have custody of the child you are required to also submit contact details of the parent who does.

However, if both you and your child apply for residence permits together, and the child's other parent resides in Sweden, you should provide details of how custody, living arrangements and visitation are organised.

If you have a job

It is possible to have ties to Sweden if you work here. You can demonstrate to what extent you have worked using employment contracts, payslips or a tax notification. In the case of temporary employment, it should be stated how long this will last.

If you have adapted yourself into Swedish society in another way

It can be demonstrated that you have adapted yourself into Swedish society via, for example, your involvement in societies or studying here, and so forth. You can demonstrate your participation in such activities by providing certificates.

If you have been abused

It may be possible, in certain cases, to extend your residence permit if your relationship has ended because you or your child were abused by your partner. In such cases, you or your child must have been the victim of violence or some other serious offence. The relationship should have been serious from the beginning and not simply brief. It must appear likely that the offence has taken place.

It is important that you let the Migration Agency know if you or your child have been abused. If there are reports from social services or women's refuges, police reports or medical reports, these documents should be sent to the Migration Agency. It is possible that you will be called to an investigation in order to describe what happened. Certain things are difficult to discuss, but it is important that you describe what has happened. You may ask to take a break during the investigation if you need to.

Read more about what you may do if you have come to Sweden because of family ties and have been abused

Other grounds

In some cases you may continue to hold a residence permit if, by returning to your country of origin, you risk being cast out from society, or if you are seriously ill or severely disabled.

If you are unable to return to your country of origin and require the protection of the Swedish government you may, instead, apply for asylum.

Working while waiting for a decision

If you have submitted an application for an extension, you have the right to continue to live in Sweden until the Swedish Migration Agency has made its decision. You also have the right to continue working if you have had a residence permit for six months or more and the application is submitted before the expiration of the current permit.

If you are unable to make an online appli­ca­tion

If you are unable to apply online, you should complete the form Application for a residence permit to take up residence in Sweden, 161011.

Application for residence permit to settle in Sweden, form 161011 Pdf, 869.6 kB, opens in new window.

In the case of applications for children under 18, you fill in the form Application for residence permit to settle in Sweden – for a child under the age of 18, 163011.

Application for residence permit to settle in Sweden – for a child under the age of 18, form 163011 Pdf, 852.1 kB, opens in new window.

The application form specifies the documents you must enclose.

Send your application to:

The Swedish Migration Agency
Box 3100
903 03 Umeå

In most cases you must pay a fee.

Application fees for residence permits

Last updated: