Work permit for employees and citizens of non-EU countries
If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and want to work in Sweden, you will probably need to obtain a work permit.
You do not need to apply for a work permit if you
- have a permanent residence permit
- have a residence permit to attend a college or university
- have a special residence permit to work as a researcher
- are an asylum seeker and have an AT-UND (exemption from the obligation to hold a work permit)
- are a citizen of an EU country.
If you are moving to Sweden to work, you can visit Flytta – a digital service with a guide that provides support for your move to Sweden and information about how Swedish society works.
Members of certain occupations and citizens of certain countries are subject to special regulations for working in Sweden.
Members of some occupations can go to Sweden and work without a permit for a limited period of time.