Apply for citizenship – for children who are Nordic citizens

Here is information on how children under 18 years of age who are citizens of Denmark, Finland, Iceland or Norway can become Swedish citizens. You as the child’s guardian file a notification of citizenship with the County Administrative Board.

File a notification with the County Administrative Board

Requirements for citizenship

For the child to become a Swedish citizen through notification, the child must

  • have lived in Sweden for the past three years
  • be under 18 years old.

Keep in mind that all requirements must be met when the notification is filed.

The notification must be made by the child’s guardian(s). If the child has more than one guardian, the other guardian must also sign the notification.

If the child has turned 12 years of age, the child must sign the application as an expression that he or she wants to become a Swedish citizen.

If the person the notification concerns has children who are resident in Sweden, they can become Swedish citizens through the same notification if

  • the person has sole custody or
  • the other guardian is a Swedish citizen or
  • the other guardian becomes Swedish at the same time.

Complete the form Notification of Swedish citizenship for a child who lives in Sweden, 318011 (in Swedish only).

Notification of Swedish citizenship for a child who lives in Sweden, form 318011 (in Swedish only) Pdf, 692.8 kB, opens in new window.

Read more about how to submit your notification on the County Administrative Board’s website External link, opens in new window..

Last updated: