Apply for citizenship – for those who are adult Nordic citizens
Here is information on how you, as an adult Nordic citizen, apply for Swedish citizenship. You can file a notification with the County Administrative Board or submit an application with the Swedish Migration Agency.
File a notification with the County Administrative Board
You can file a notification of Swedish citizenship if you
- are a citizen of Denmark, Finland, Island or Norway
- have reached the age of 18
- have lived in Sweden for five years
- have not been sentenced to prison or other incarceration in the past five years.
All requirements must be met when the notification is filed.
Your unmarried children under the age of 18 who live in Sweden become Swedish citizens at the same time as you if
- you have sole custody of the child or children or
- you have joint custody with the other parent and he or she is a Swedish citizen or
- the other parent becomes a Swedish citizen at the same time as you.
Complete the form Notification of Swedish citizenship for a citizen of Denmark, Finland, Iceland or Norway, 306031 (in Swedish only).
Read more about how to submit your notification on the County Administrative Board’s website External link, opens in new window..
Submit an application with the Swedish Migration Agency
If you do not meet the requirements to file a notification of citizenship, you can instead submit an application for citizenship. Then it is enough if you have lived in Sweden for two years.