Cash support for reestablishment

If you are returning to your country of origin, you may apply for cash support from the Swedish Migration Agency, so-called reestablishment support. The support is intended for those who have to return to a country where reestablishment is difficult because of the security situation. You apply for the support while you are still in Sweden.

You are entitled to the support if you have to return to any of the following countries:

Afghanistan, the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, El Salvador, Eritrea, Iraq, Yemen, Libya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Palestine, Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Lebanon.

Condi­tions for entit­le­ment to the support

The purpose of the support is to enable you to reestablish yourself in the country you have to return to. You are entitled to the support, whether you are a child or an adult, if you

  • have had your application for asylum rejected, or if you have withdrawn your application for asylum in Sweden
  • intend to return of your own accord to a country where there is limited scope for reestablishment because of the security situation
  • are likely to be received in the country you intend to return to
  • are staying in Sweden when you apply
  • apply as soon as possible after having your application for asylum rejected or withdrawing it.

Support for your family

Your family members who have to return to your country of origin with you can also receive the support: your husband, wife, cohabiting partner, children under 18 or other close relatives living with you. To be entitled to the support, your family members must also be staying in Sweden when you submit your application.

Appli­ca­tion and deci­sion

You must apply for the support as soon as possible after you have had your application for asylum rejected, or your application for asylum has been cancelled because you have withdrawn it. Your application should be received within two months after the Swedish Migration Agency’s decision.

You may apply for reestablishment support through your Reception Officer, and it is the Swedish Migration Agency that decides whether you should receive the support or not. The Swedish Migration Agency’s decision on reestablishment support cannot be appealed.

The support is paid out in your country of origin

The Swedish Migration Agency cooperates with the IOM (International Organization for Migration), which is represented in most of the countries where the reestablishment support is paid out. In these cases, the money will be paid out by the IOM. Before you leave Sweden you will be given a telephone number for the IOM’s office in your country of origin. When you have arrived in your country of origin, you will need to call them and make an appointment for the reestablishment support to be paid to you.

The entire amount is paid out at one time. When you collect the money, you must present a passport or a copy of your temporary travel document and a copy of the decision that you have been granted reestablishment support. IOM also offers a support line for those who have questions regarding the payment of support prior to the journey to the country of origin. The support line is open weekdays and is available in several languages.

If you return to the Central African Republic, Eritrea, Yemen or Palestine, the support is instead paid out through a bank transfer after you have returned to your country of origin.

Read more about the IOM (International Organization for Migration) External link, opens in new window.

The amount of the support

The reestablishment support is SEK 30,000 for each person over 18, and SEK 15,000 for children under 18 years of age. The most a family can receive is SEK 75,000.

If you provide incorrect infor­ma­tion

The Swedish Migration Agency may decide that you should pay back the support in full or in part if you

  • do not return of your own accord or if you enter Sweden illegally after you have returned
  • have given the wrong information or have otherwise caused the support to be paid out incorrectly or at too high an amount.

Last updated: