Work permit for traineeship through trainee organisation

If you work for one of the trainee organisations AIESEC, IAESTE, JUF or SACCUSA, you can apply for a work permit for trainees who have been offered traineeships in Sweden.

Requi­re­ments for work permit

In order for the trainee to be granted a permit, the trainee must

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • have a valid passport
  • have received a written offer of traineeship or the assignment that is to be carried out.

In some cases, the trainee must apply for a residence permit for an internship with ties to higher education even if an internship is mediated through a trainee organisation. In order for these rules to apply, the internship must be linked to the person’s studies.

Read more about residence permits for internships in connection with higher education

Requi­re­ments for using the e-service

In order for those who work for any of the organisations AIESEC, IAESTE, JUF or SACCUSA to use the e-service and provide information about the employment, you need

  • a written offer, which states the terms for the trainee’s employment or assignment
  • an e-identification to provide information about the employment
  • to know the email address of the trainee.

When you as a trainee organisation have provided information about the employment through the e-service, an email with a link is sent to the person you want to give a traineeship. The trainee then, through the link, submits an application for a work permit on the basis of a traineeship.

You as an employee can follow the case by logging in to the e-service.

The decision is sent to the embassy or consulate-general indicated in the online application. The trainee must collect the decision him- or herself and must then bring his or her passport. A work permit can be granted for the period training is offered, but never longer than the validity of the person’s passport. A permit as a trainee can be granted for one or more periods for a combined maximum of 18 months.

People who are granted a permit for three months or more will also be given a residence permit card which is issued by the embassy or consulate-general. The card must be presented together with a passport upon entry to Sweden and it is proof of the person’s right to be in Sweden. It takes up to four weeks to manufacture and deliver the card.

If the Swedish Migra­tion Agency denies the appli­ca­tion

A decision on a work permit can be appealed within three weeks. Information on how to appeal is provided in the trainee’s decision.

EU-flagga - Medfinansieras av Europeiska unionen

Last updated: