Residence permit for trainees with ties to higher education
Companies, universities, authorities and organisations can receive trainees for training that has ties to the trainee’s education.
Requirements for residence permit
In order for the trainee to be granted a permit, the trainee must
- have received a degree from higher education (define) within two years before the application or be pursuing an educational programme that leads to such a degree
- have a valid passport
- have received a written agreement on training (the training must have ties to the trainee’s education)
- have, or have applied for, comprehensive health insurance (if the trainee will be in Sweden for a maximum of one year).
An agreement on training must contain
- the content of the training (description of the training, what the goal of the training is and what educational components it includes)
- the length of the training
- the working and supervision conditions
- the times for the training
- the legal relationship between the trainee and the training host in Sweden.
Requirements for using the e-service
In order for those who work for the company, provider of higher education, authority or organisation that will receive the trainee to use the e-service and provide information about the employment, you need
- an internship agreement
- an e-identification to provide information about the employment
- to know the email address of the trainee.
When you have provided information about the employment through the e-service, an email with a link is sent to the person you want to give an internship. The trainee then submits via the link an application for a residence permit on the basis of an internship.
You can follow the case by logging in to the e-service.
The decision is sent to the embassy or consulate-general indicated in the online application. The trainee must collect the decision him- or herself and must then bring his or her passport. A residence permit can be granted for the period training is offered, but never longer than the validity of the person’s passport. A permit as a trainee can be granted for a combined maximum of 18 months. It is not possible to apply for an extension of the permit.
People who are granted a permit for three months or more also receive a residence permit card that is handed out by the embassy or consulate-general. The card must be presented together with the passport upon entry and is proof of the right to be in Sweden. It takes up to four weeks to manufacture and deliver the card.
If the Swedish Migration Agency denies the application
A decision on a residence permit can be appealed within three weeks. Information on how to appeal is provided in the trainee’s decision.
If you cannot provide information about the employment by using our e-service, you must send the internship agreement to the trainee who turns it in together with an application for a residence permit for internship in connection with higher education, form number 101031.
If you use the e-service, you are given clear instructions on how provide information about the employment and what you have to send in with it. It is easy to do it right from the beginning, which increases your chances of getting a decision faster.