Hiring berry pickers who have a representative
When you are to employ or hire somebody who is a citizen of a country outside the EU, that person needs a residence and work permit in most cases. It is you as the client who begins the application for a residence and work permit when you are to hire people with a representative who are to work as berry pickers or service personnel.
Employing an employee who does not have a representative
If you are to employ a person who does not have a representative, the person must be employed according to the rules for seasonal work.
Hiring a group of employees who have a representative
You can use the e-service to hire employees who have a representative. As the client, you must then create an offer of employment in the e-service.
Requirements to use the e-service
In order to use the e-service and create an offer of employment, you need
- electronic identification
- to know the e-mail address of the representative of the employees
- to know the right SSYK code for the profession in question (list of SSYK2012 codes).
Requirements for residence and work permits
In order for the person you want to hire as a berry picker to receive a residence and work permit
- the employee must have a valid passport
- you must create an offer of employment and give the union organisation concerned an opportunity to make a statement on the terms of employment
- you must offer terms of employment that are at least on the same level as Swedish collective agreements or what is customary in the profession or industry
- you must offer work to such an extent that the salary is at least SEK 13,000 per month before tax
- you must show that you have paid salary if you previously employed or hired berry pickers
- you must present how the company will manage to pay the offered monthly salary even in the event of a poor berry supply and if the employee is unable to pick berries corresponding to the monthly salary offered
- you must show that you can guide the persons you hire in their work and organise practical matters, such as transportation, food and lodging in such a way as is customary in the industry
- you must report all costs charged to the person you employ or hire
- you must show documentation that you have provided information about the work, the offered terms of employment, the right of public access and traffic rules in Sweden
- the representative/employer must have the intention of taking out medical insurance, life insurance, industrial injuries insurance and occupational pension insurance for the employees once they begin employment.
The requirements also apply to those who are to work as support to berry pickers
The requirements to receive residence and work permits also apply to the people who are to work as support to the berry pickers. This means that the same conditions are set on you when you for example hire a cook, mechanic or interpreter for the berry pickers.
A residence and work permit is tied to a certain profession and a certain employer. You must therefore write the profession the person actually works in when you complete the offer of employment.