Frequently asked questions – berry picking

Frequently asked questions for employers or agents

It is the Swedish Municipal Workers’ Union that is to make a statement on the conditions in the information about the employment. External link, opens in new window.

You can do it in several ways. One way, for example, is to submit salary specifications for the berry pickers you employed in previous years.

Contact the staffing agency you want to use. If you engage a staffing agency that is not in Sweden, they must have a branch registered in Sweden. It is the staffing agency that will provide information about the employment in the e-service and guarantee the information provided about the terms of employment.

This could be by demonstrating that there are sufficient funds in a bank account or equivalent, an overdraft facility, guarantees from the bank (only banks within the EU/EEA and Switzerland). It could also be demonstrated through a legally binding commitment from another financier or a surety bond from a guarantor who can demonstrate that funds are available. To support this, a balance sheet and an earnings report may be submitted.

You can prove this in various ways, for example by submitting a document that states that the employee has received the information that you as an employer have provided.

Yes you can. But the employee must receive a salary and have terms of employment on a par with Swedish collective agreements or whatever is customary within the occupation or industry. The trade Union should also be given an opportunity to comment on the conditions. Your application will take significantly longer time to process.

An EU citizen has a right to work, study or live in Sweden without a work permit or residence permit. Upon entry to Sweden, they need a valid passport or an identity card showing their citizenship. For more questions, please contact the Swedish Tax Agency. External link, opens in new window.

Yes, you can apply. The Migration Agency will request a comment from the trade union, but your application will take longer to process.

If the berry picker is offered a shorter duration of stay than three months and comes from a country where a visa is needed for entry to Sweden, the berry picker must also apply for a visa.

Learn more about how to apply for a visa on Visiting Sweden.

If the berry picker is employed by a staffing agency, the berry picker is covered by an agreement called the staffing services agreement and the minimum salary there is slightly higher than in the agreement with the Federation of Swedish Forestry and Agricultural Employers.

Last updated: