Exemptions from the work permit requirements
If you are exempt from the work permit requirement but your employment will last for longer than three months, you must apply for a residence permit for visits. In the list below, you can see which time periods are applicable to you and whether there are any limitations for your chosen profession. However, we cannot make any advance decision or guarantee that you are exempt from the work permit requirement. The application must first be submitted and examined.
Find out more about applying for a residence permit for visit.
Citizens of certain countries require an entry visa in order to travel to Sweden.
Countries whose citizens require an entry visa for travel to Sweden External link, opens in new window.
The following people may work in Sweden without a permit:
- Specialists in an international corporation who work temporarily in Sweden for the corporation for a total of less than one year. The exception does not apply to specialists who are subject to the ICT regulations. This means that specialists residing outside the EU are exempted from the work permit requirement if they work in Sweden for less than 90 days.
- Employees who participate in practical experience, internal training or other skills development at a company in an international group for up to three months altogether over the period of 12 months.
- People who participate in training, testing, preparation or completion of deliveries, or similar activities within the framework of a business transaction for up to three months altogether over the period of 12 months.
- Diplomats and consular officials, as well as their families and staff. The exemption generally applies to the current mission only.
- Fitters or technical instructors in connection with urgent installation or repair of machinery for up to two months. The work must be an emergency – in other words, an unexpected event that requires immediate measures. Scheduled or foreseeable work does not qualify for the exemption.
- People who have a temporary gig for a radio or television broadcast by Sveriges Radio AB, Sveriges Television AB, Sveriges Utbildningsradio AB or Nordisk Television AB (TV4-gruppen/TV4 AB) for up to one month after entering Sweden.
- Performers, technicians and other tour staff, provided that the performer has been invited by an established arranger for up to 14 days over a period of 12 months. See list of established arrangers
- Professional athletes and functionaries who participate in international competitions for up to three months over the period of 12 months.
- Railway personnel and lorry drivers in international commercial traffic who are employed outside Sweden.
- Drivers and staff of tourist buses for up to three months.
- Representatives who work temporarily as salespeople, journalists, etc., for a company that does not have a branch or office in Sweden.
- Caregivers employed for a person who is visiting Sweden for up to three months.
- Researchers or teachers at higher education institutions who participate in research, teaching or lecturing activities for up to three months altogether over the period of 12 months.
- Researchers who have a residence permit for research in another EU country and will carry out part of their research in Sweden with an approved research funding body. The exemption is valid for a maximum of 180 days during a 360-day period.
- People who work temporarily in Sweden as a contractor or the equivalent. In order for the exception to be applicable, the person must live in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland without being a citizen there, and have a permit that entitles him/her to work and reside in that country. It is also required that the person is employed by a company in the country in question and will work temporarily in Sweden for the company. The exception applies during the period of temporary work.
- Witnesses or plaintiffs in a criminal investigation who have obtained a residence permit as a result.
- For the period of deployment for a person who is part of an aid effort for a disaster or accident in Sweden.
- People who have a residence permit for studies in higher education in Sweden.
- People who have a residence permit for mobility studies in higher education in Sweden or another EU country and as part of the education shall be in Sweden. The exemption is valid for a maximum of 360 days. Read more about mobility studies in higher education.