Employing a researcher
A researcher, who is a citizen of a country outside the EU and wants to work in Sweden, is exempt from the requirement of a work permit, but needs a residence permit.
Requirements for residence permit
The researcher applies for a residence permit him- or herself, but if you want to employ a researcher, you must
- be approved as a research funding body by the Swedish Research Council External link, opens in new window.
- complete the form Hosting agreement for visiting researchers in Sweden, number 231011, which must be signed by you and the researcher
- send the hosting agreement to the researcher who must submit it together with his or her application for a residence permit.
For work that lasts less than three months, no residence permit is needed. However, citizens of certain countries need a visa.
A researcher who has a residence permit for research in another EU country does not need a residence permit for research in Sweden that is conducted for a maximum of 180 days during a 360-day period. If the research is to be conducted for a longer time, the researcher needs a residence permit for research in mobility for an extended stay. The researcher can apply for such a permit while he or she is in Sweden.
The researcher’s permit must be issued before travelling to Sweden. A person who is in Sweden with a permit for studies can, however, apply online while he or she is in Sweden. People who have a residence permit for research in another EU country and who are to conduct part of their research in Sweden can submit their application while they are in Sweden.
People who have a residence permit for research in another EU country can begin conducting research directly if
- the researcher’s residence permit in the other EU country is still valid and
- the researcher has not already been in Sweden to conduct research for a maximum of 180 days in the past 360 days.
Requirements for the researcher to be able to use the e-service
In order for the researcher to be able to use the e-service, you as the employer need to
- send the hosting agreement (the researcher must send in the hosting agreement with his or her application).