Employing an au pair
An au pair is a person who temporarily lives with a family and is paid for light household work and child minding. The purpose of the stay must be to improve his or her language skills and knowledge of Sweden.
Requirements for residence permit
In order to for the person you want to employ as an au pair to get a residence permit
- he or she must be 18 but not 30 years old when the decision is made
- you must offer a maximum of 25 hours child minding and light household work per week
- the au pair must study Swedish for most of the rest of the time
- you must offer room and board
- you must offer a certain compensation for work done, a minimum salary of SEK 3,500 per month before tax
- you as an employer must have taken out accident insurance for him or her which should include accidents during working hours and illness if the au pair becomes ill from work
- the time for household work and studies may not together exceed 40 hours per week
You must write an agreement stating the above conditions.
An au pair who is a citizen of a country outside the EU needs a residence permit.
Anyone who has a permit to work as an au pair may not work as a child minder or domestic help full time.
Requirements for using the e-service
In order to use the e-service and create an offer of employment, you need to
- have an e-identification
- be able to append an agreement on au pair work
- know the email address of the person you want to employ.