A volunteer is a person who is to work as a volunteer in Sweden within the framework of the European Voluntary Service. The volunteer must have entered an agreement with an organisation in Sweden on participation in a volunteer programme here. The residence permit must be issued before travel to Sweden.
Volunteers who do not work within the scope of the European Voluntary Service can apply for a residence permit for visitors.
Requirements for residence permit
The volunteer applies for a residence permit him- or herself, but you who wants to offer a person work as a volunteer must
- be approved by the European Voluntary Service and
- send an agreement on participation in a volunteer programme to the volunteer.
The agreement on participation in a volunteer programme must contain
- a description of the volunteer programme’s content
- the length of the volunteer programme
- the working and supervision conditions of the volunteer work
- the time for the volunteer work
- information on the funds that are available to cover the costs of the volunteer’s living expenses and housing
- information on the training the volunteer will receive to be able to do the volunteer work (if required).
The volunteer applies for a residence permit him- or herself. The permit must be issued before travel to Sweden.
The decision is sent to the embassy or consulate-general indicated in the online application. The volunteer must collect the decision him- or herself and must then bring his or her passport. The permit can be granted for the period the volunteering is under way, but never longer than the validity of the person’s passport. A residence permit for volunteering can be granted for a total maximum of one year. The permit must be issued before travel to Sweden.
People who are granted a permit for three months or more also receive a residence permit card that is handed out by the embassy or consulate-general. The card must be presented together with the passport upon entry and is proof of the right to be in Sweden. It takes up to four weeks to manufacture and deliver the card.
If the Swedish Migration Agency denies the application
A decision on a residence permit can be appealed within three weeks. Information on how to appeal is provided in the volunteer’s decision.