Work permits for berry pickers

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and plan to come to Sweden to pick berries, you need a work permit. The work permit must have been issued before you travel to Sweden.

For employment that lasts less than three months, citizens of certain countries must also have a visa.

Countries whose citizens require a visa for Swedenexternal link, opens in new window

Read more about applying for a visa under Visiting Sweden

Requirements for obtaining a work permit

In order to obtain a work permit, you must

  • have a valid passport
  • have been offered terms of employment at least on par with Swedish collective agreements or that which is customary in your occupation or industry
  • have been offered a monthly pretax salary of at least SEK 13,000.

Employer requirements

There are special requirements for those who want to employ a person to work in the berry picking industry. These apply whether that person will be picking berries or working as an interpreter, chef, mechanic or providing supporting services to the berry pickers.

Among other things, the company must pay the salary you have been offered, even if there are few berries and/or you are unable to pick the required amount of berries.

Read more about the requirements and the terms of employment that your employer or client must offer you

If you are employed by a company in Sweden

If you are employed by a company in Sweden you must apply for a seasonal work permit instead.

Read more about seasonal work permits

LO (The Swedish Trade Union Confederation) has decided that the Swedish Municipal Workers' Union (SKAF) shall be responsible for the rights of berry pickers with regard to the right to join unions and matters concerning contractual law. This means that SKAF is to be given a chance to comment on the conditions of employment. If you work full time and are employed by a company with operations in Sweden, LO has decided that the framework agreement with the Federation of Swedish Forestry and Agricultural Employers shall be your collective agreement.

If you are employed by a recruitment agency based abroad

A Swedish company may purchase the service of berry picking from a foreign company. The foreign company that has employed you must have a branch in Sweden. The employer/client in Sweden must guarantee the terms of employment applicable in the offer of employment. If you are employed by a foreign staffing company that does not have operations in Sweden, the Staffing Agreement shall apply. This applies whether the employer has signed a collective agreement or not.

Read more about the requirements that apply to your employer or client

Your rights as a berry picker in Sweden

Everyone working in Sweden has the right to good terms of employment. Whether or not you are a Swedish citizen or you are working here for a limited period, you have the right to a good working life. It is therefore important that you know your rights.

You can obtain more information on your rights from the Swedish Work Environment Authority.

The Swedish Work Environment Authority's websiteexternal link, opens in new window

It is important that you find out for yourself what terms of employment apply in the offer of employment you have received.

If there are problems with your employer in Sweden, you can contact the Swedish Municipal Workers' Union.

The Swedish Municipal Workers' Union's websiteexternal link, opens in new window

If the Swedish Migration Agency rejects your application

If the Swedish Migration Agency rejects your application, it means you are not entitled to a residence permit for Sweden. You may lodge an appeal against the decision within three weeks of the date when you received notification of the decision. Information on how to lodge an appeal can be found in your decision. If you have given someone a power of attorney document that authorises him/her to represent you, this person is able to lodge an appeal on your behalf.

Read more about how to appeal

If you are still in Sweden when your application is rejected, you must leave the country within the timescale given in the decision.

Read more about what you need to know if you have had your application rejected and are still in Sweden

The Migration Agency may withdraw a permit

Your permit may be withdrawn

  • if, in your application, you provided incorrect information or did not mention something that was significant in regards to your residence permit
  • if the requirements for the permit are no longer met – for example, if you are no longer working, or if the terms of employment are no longer met
  • if you have not started your employment within four months of the first day of validity of the permit.

Last updated: 2019-10-14

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.