Employing athletes or trainers

The information below is for clubs or associations that belong to the Swedish Sports Confederation and have signed a contract with the citizen of a non-EU country.

Clubs and associations that are not members of the confederation are subject to other regulations for obtaining work permits.

An athlete or trainer who is the citizen of a non-EU country needs a permit to work in Sweden. They must play the sport on a professional level.

Citizens of certain countries also need a visaexternal link, opens in new window for jobs that last for less than three months. 

Exceptions from the work permit requirement

If you are a professional athlete or functionary, you can participate in international competitions for up to three months over the period of 12 months without having a work permit. However, citizens of certain countries need a visa to enter Sweden.

Countries whose citizens require a visa for visits shorter than three monthsexternal link, opens in new window

Learn more about applying for a entry visa

Requirements for obtaining a work permit

The club or association must

  • be a member of the Swedish Sports Association (in Swedish)external link, opens in new window
  • sign a contract with the athlete or trainer
  • offer a monthly pretax salary of at least SEK 14,300
  • obtain a statement from the Swedish Sports Association concerning the terms of employment.

The confederation must also certify that the job is essential to the development of the sport.

Applying for a work permit

The athlete or trainer must apply for a work permit on their own. The permit must be issued before they enter Sweden. Read more about applying for a work permit under Working in Sweden.

After the decision has been made

Once the decision has been made, a copy will be sent to you indicating whether or not a permit has been granted. If you want to know the reasons for the decision, you must obtain a power of attorney from the athlete or trainer. Any permit will be valid for the period during which the contract is in force but not past the time for which the athlete or trainer´s passport remains valid. The permit applies only to the club and the sport specified in the contract.

Athletes or trainers who receive permits for three months or longer are also given a residence permit card, which is handed over or sent by the embassy or consulate general. The card, which the athlete or trainer must show when entering Sweden, is proof of their right to be in the country. Making and sending the card takes up to four weeks.

Notify the Tax Agency

When you hire someone from a non-EU country, you must notify the Tax Agency. You do this by filling in the form “Notification – Employment of a foreigner SKV 1160” with details of the name, address and employment period of the person who will be working for you. You will find the form at the Tax Agency websiteexternal link, opens in new window.

You must keep copies of documents that show that the person has the right to stay and work in Sweden. The documents must be kept on file during the entire employment period and for 12 months after the employment has ended.

Extending a permit

If the agreement is extended, the athlete or trainer must apply to extend their permit. If the athlete or trainer has had a work permit for at least six months and has applied for an extension before it expires, they have the right to continue working while waiting for the decision. A work permit as an athlete or trainer can be granted for up to two years at a time for a total of four years. If they still have a contract at the end of four years, they can obtain a permanent residence permit.

If the Migration Agency refuses the application

A decision concerning a work permit can be appealed against within three weeks. Information on how to do this can be found in the decision.

Important information regarding insurance

In order for an employee to receive a work permit, the employer must provide health insurance, life insurance, industrial injury insurance and occupational pension insurance for the employee when they begin working.

In order for an employee to extend their work permit, they must have been provided with health insurance, life insurance, industrial injury insurance and occupational pension insurance for the entire period in which they have had a work permit in Sweden.

To show that the insurance has been valid throughout the employment period, the document must state the start date of the policies and their terms and conditions.

Someone who has been in Sweden for less than one year does not have the same rights to social benefits as someone who is a resident of Sweden. For this reason, it is important that the person in question has been provided with insurance to cover any costs that may arise in the event of illness or an accident.

Last updated: 2019-07-05

Was the information on this page helpful to you?

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Thank you for helping us improve our website!

Tell us how we can make this page better*

If you wish to ask the Migration Agency a question you can find our contact details under the heading Contact us.