If your application is rejected

Rejection means that you have received a NO to your application for asylum. You are not allowed to stay in Sweden.

You and your parents will come to a meeting where the staff will help you understand what the decision says. If you and your parents wish, you can join the conversation.

A rejection to your application means that the Swedish Migration Agency assesses that you do not have enough reasons to be granted asylum in Sweden and that you must return home. The Swedish Migration Agency will help your parents plan for how you will return home.


If you disagree with the decision, your parents can appeal. This means that they write a letter to the Swedish Migration Agency in which you tell us why you think the decision is wrong and that you want the court to change the decision. If you have a public counsel, they can help you write an appeal.

If the Migration Court agrees with you, the Swedish Migration Agency will change the decision and you may stay. If the Migration Court rejects your appeal, it means that they think that the Swedish Migration Agency's decision is correct. You can then appeal to the Migration Court of Appeal.

The Migration Court of Appeal is a court that only tries certain special cases where it is unclear how the law should be interpreted. If the Migration Court of Appeal decides not to try your case, it means that you cannot appeal anymore and that the Swedish Migration Agency's decision comes into effect. This is called that the decision "gains legal force".

You can change your mind at any time and withdraw an appeal and instead decide to return home. If you decide to do that you can get help from the Swedish Migration Agency to return home.


Whether your parents appeal the decision or not, you must prepare to return to your home country. Your parents will be asked to come to several meetings with the Swedish Migration Agency to talk about what needs to be done in order for you to return. If you and your parents wish, you can join the meetings.

Your parents are responsible for ensuring that you leave Sweden within the time that is written in the decision. If you do not travel within that time, there is a risk that you will have a re-entry ban. This means that you are not allowed to enter Europe or Sweden for a certain time.

If your parents accept the decision and cooperate with the Swedish Migration Agency, they can, for example, get help to book tickets or arrange practical matters that concern the trip. You are also entitled to help with money and accommodation until it is time to leave.

If you do not comply with the decision

The Swedish Migration Agency can only help you return if your parents themselves agree to travel back to your home country. If you do not show up when the Swedish Migration Agency summons you to meetings, or if you show that you do not intend to cooperate, the Swedish Migration Agency will hand your case over to the police.

If your case is handed over to the police, it is the police who must make sure that you comply with the Swedish Migration Agency's and the court's decision, in other words that you must leave Sweden.

New events after rejection

Sometimes things may happen after the decision that prevents you from leaving Sweden. For example, it may be that someone in the family becomes too ill to travel, or that new reasons for asylum or new evidence of your reasons for seeking asylum emerge that the Swedish Migration Agency did not know about when we made the decision. If this happens, your parents should write to the Swedish Migration Agency and tell them about what has happened. The Swedish Migration Agency will then decide whether the new reasons are sufficient to stop the deportation.

Sometimes the deportation can be stopped temporarily so that the Swedish Migration Agency has time to investigate the new event. A temporary stop is called inhibition.

While you wait to return home

You have the right to go to school and receive medical care as long as you remain in Sweden, even if the Swedish Migration Agency has handed over your case to the police.

When you leave Sweden, it is good that you bring with you

  • a certificate showing that you have attended school here
  • grades from school, if you have any
  • vaccination certificate(s)
  • postal addresses, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of anyone that you want to keep in touch with.

Last updated: